30 July, 2006

Pink Prejudice

I have, much to my delight, been labelled "Goth" by many, many people, be they friends, cousins or neighbours. So, when I walked into school the other day, clad in a pink sari (No, I don't wear saris on an everyday basis. The occassion called for it.) I had high hopes of seeing boys' jaws drop. And oh, yes, they did... with fright. One boy in particular asked me whether this means I'm converting to Barbie-ism and am going to stop liking Floyd. WHAT? ARE YOU CONVERTING TO PERMANENT STUPIDITY? WHY WOULD ANY FLOYD FAN STOP LIKING FLOYD? Only, I didn't quite get what he was saying just then and asked, "What do you mean?" "I mean", he said, "That YOU are in PINK."
I, being my not-so-bright self stared at him dumbly. If my mouth had been open, I'd have looked liked Duh's twin sister. "Yeah, umm, I know.. It's not like I got dressed in the dark" and I snickered at my little joke. This was met with cold silence and a "You're not goth anymore, no? Damn. That sucks." That only further proved that the boy certainly had downed one too many colas/red bulls. Oh and yeah, I FINALLY understood what he was trying to get at. "Noooooo" I wailed like an ambulance siren (Think Vadivelu in Pammal K. Sambandham. Yes, I actually saw that movie!) "I've not renounced my being a goth!!! Why would you think THAT?" He was either in a hurry or too frustrated with me, but anyway, he stomped off.

A little while later, another senior asked me, "Oi, how come you're wearing PINK?" with such disgust you'd think she was talking about rotting corpses. "Why, do I look bad?" "No, it's just that...it's, y'know... pink!" It was my turn to stalk off. Only, like a twit, I stayed on and went, "Yeah, I KNOW... what's wrong with pink anyway?" "Nothing... only.... Paris Hilton... Britney..." Thank God for my fluctuating intelligence that was pretty much on then. "What?" Followed by a sharp intake of breath. I scared myself with that, actually. "No! No way!"
"Just saying, yaa... Pink, y'know...it's so...y'know..." No, I don't know. Enlighten me, oh pink-hater. "Chuck it." She said and walked away somewhere. Brilliant. I'm stupid because I like pink and I like pink so I'm a people- repellent. Pray tell, why is there such animosity for this colour? Has it eaten up your pet dog or given you a rash? Why the hate? Why?

All I am saying, is give pink a chance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes Manvi,
i truly understand what you are talking about.
Its like when one is comfortable in black too often, they are refered to as GOTHS, and when one tries with the not so terrible colour PINK..Everyone is like, Whassup with the Britney-bimbo look ?
Why can't people jus let people be experimental without being labelled.

Haphazard thoughts said...

You and Anusha would gel well.